Thursday, April 10, 2014

way neater in Singapore!

Miracle Garden, Dubai, UAE, April 2013
When people ask me why I left Paris, I tell them I couldn't stand the grey color of almost everything anymore, from the sky to the ground, everything is grey, even buildings and (sorry guys) the folks' pouts - By the way, I also think, Paris' crowd isn't a very smily one, but hey, it's only my opinion. - 
And the rain! Man, the rain! Worse than Paris, maybe only London... yuck!
And then I moved to Portugal. Weather wise way better for sure (not only weather wise actually ;) ), There, I finally realized blue skies weren't myths and they do exist from time to time. That felt nice. Or so I thought until life took me to Paradise, Dubai, the land where it never rains! ok, it rains like a four or five days a year, but when it rains, man, it's like the world's coming to an end, roads are floaded and life just stops. They really need to start thinking about sewers. For some reason, those, almost three years I enjoyed an amazing life there, didn't teach me how to love it though, not as people, there, love it when it rains. I don't know. Maybe I didn't stay there long enough to actually miss the rain and be glad to feel it when it comes, but this doesn't change my heart: rain sucks! Period!
But, this is different. This is Singapore. We are just between the tropics, around 120 Kms from the equator, so rain is very much in the picture here, at least that's what I am expecting. I've only been here for a month and a half, so my experience is not yet bullet proof, and I only speak of what I know. And what I know is: rain became a fantastic experience! Oh yeah! This is a whole different thing here: when it rains, it's warm, still a 25+ degrees temp' and you are in flip flops. From now on, when it starts raining in Singapore, I just feel like "singing in the rain" and I smile.

And I think: maybe, for us to like something we think is not likeable, we just need to see it from another angle (or another latitude)


PS... And, small note, that wasn't the only reason for my leaving ;)

1 comment:

  1. Of course it wasn't the only reason ! It would have been too easy my friend ;-)
    Kathy, you're like a butterfly, your wings are now opened, allowing you to fly wherever you want...

    ReplyDelete